Serious Kingsisle's Wizard101 and Pirate101

• Thread starter Deleted member 7085
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7085

I'm surprised these iconic games have not been discussed here. These are games that bring back so much nostalgia for me and was the MMORPG game I played for nearly eight years and six years respectively. Here's a tl;dr on each game:

Wizard101 is a 2008 massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) created by KingsIsle Entertainment. In the game, players take on the role of students of Ravenwood School of Magical Arts in order to save the Spiral, the fictional galaxy in which the game is set, from various threats. Players battle enemies by casting spells using a variety of different weapons in a turn-based combat system similar to collectible card games.

Pirate101 is a pirate-themed massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) created by KingsIsle Entertainment. A sister game to Wizard101, players assume the role of heroic pirates who set out in search of the treasures of the "Spiral". Players can complete quests, sail ships, befriend companions, and battle enemies in a turn-based combat system similar to that used in board games.

Both games have their merits and flaws, but if I had to choose between one or the other, I'd prefer to play Pirate101 because of its more complex dynamic and overall much better and enticing story line. Unfortunately, Pirate101 is largely discontinued and has only seen 1 Arc, whereas Wizard101 has seen 3 Arcs.

What I also like about these games are that they are intertwined. Small spoiler but you have such things as Pirate's visiting Marleybone (A London themed Cats'n'Dog-esque world) after the Wizards had, and Pirate's being in Mooshu (An Okinawa-themed world full of horses, bulls, hogs etc.) before the Wizards, and so you see people from one game in the other, or smaller references i.e. Marleybone - Set in different places in each game, but in Pirate101 you can see where the Wizard101 Marleybone is set on the map and Dragonspyre (An ancient, haunted world, once an advanced militant society.) where the Pirates sail through it first, but much further from the mainland as it can be seen off in the distance.

But my favourite thing by far in both these games is its awesome soundtrack. It gives off really good vibes and is something I listen to regularly. My favourites from each game are as such:

Wizard 101: Krokotopia Theme #3, Mooshu Plague Theme, Grizzleheim Main Theme, Grizzleheim Combat Theme, Wintertusk Austriland Theme.

Pirate101: Valencia Skyway Theme, Valencia Combat Theme (Part 1), Valencia Combat Theme (Part 2), Cool Ranch Broadside Combat Theme, Cool Ranch Combat Theme, Marleybone Combat Theme, Marleybone Broadside Combat Theme, Marleybone Armada Combat Theme

Each game has it's charms and characteristics, but be warned, both games are behind a paywall unfortunately, which has been the main reason for me not going back on to the games, but if you want to be a dedicated player, the paywall isn't much of an issue (unless other reasons are present).

I'd like to see your guys opinions on it because why not.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 6062

A college friend of mine is a big fan of Wizard101, he played it during lectures sometimes, I know nothing about it myself but he seemed very passionate about it!

D

Deleted member 7085

A college friend of mine is a big fan of Wizard101, he played it during lectures sometimes, I know nothing about it myself but he seemed very passionate about it!
Yeah it is a good game, and still is, especially since it’s over 12 years old now. I have many fond memories from my youth playing it, and it was really fun. I managed to get quite far into the game, but never managed to finish it but I still keep looking up what’s happening on the game via youtube

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I played Wizard101 when I was kid, was pretty fun game ngl the gameplay was pretty fun and I remember I managed to use a cheat engine time exploit to slow down the card minigame so that I could get a highscore, and it worked! I also played a bit of pirate101 but never went in to it, but I fell out of it, I just learned that I wasn't an mmo fan from a young age, although one day I hope I can find an mmo I can stick with

D

Deleted member 7085

I played Wizard101 when I was kid, was pretty fun game ngl the gameplay was pretty fun and I remember I managed to use a cheat engine time exploit to slow down the card minigame so that I could get a highscore, and it worked! I also played a bit of pirate101 but never went in to it, but I fell out of it, I just learned that I wasn't an mmo fan from a young age, although one day I hope I can find an mmo I can stick with
Yeah I guess not everyone like MMO's, but I feel like it's a good entry game into MMO's because it has the core fundementals without being complicated as hell.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
wizard 101 was iconic, never got past like level 14 or something cos by level 10 all the other quests were locked behind a subscription, so i just grinded out rando mobs and talked to the homies
classic
also @Pyromancer is a fellow wizard101 fag i think

D

Deleted member 7085

wizard 101 was iconic, never got past like level 14 or something cos by level 10 all the other quests were locked behind a subscription, so i just grinded out rando mobs and talked to the homies
classic
also @Pyromancer is a fellow wizard101 fag i think
Furthest I got was to Celestia around level 54 on my storm character. I might revisit the game and try grind it again, because it's a lot of fun.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
Wizard 101 is actually a baller gamer, ngl. You’d think that it wouldn’t hold up after all these years but it does.

D

Deleted member 7085

Wizard 101 is actually a baller gamer, ngl. You’d think that it wouldn’t hold up after all these years but it does.
I'm just sad that people don't play Pirate101 as much to the point that direct support is virtually gone.

Pyromancer

doNT YOU KNOW how HARD DEVVING IS????
Nebulae
me when i was promised a wizard 101 subscription if i did good on my SATs in year six and i didn't get it despite passing everything and trying my absolute hardest

D

Deleted member 7085

I forgot how early the paywalls were in each game. You can get to like lvl 7 max before having been hit with a "YOU CANT ACCESS THIS AREA, UNLOCK IT BY USING KROWNS OR BUY A MEMBRSHIP"

Romeo

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
fuck y'all, try to ride up after you see my level 94 fire wizard

if you're storm school your mom's a hoe

Pyromancer

Nebulae
i remember just sitting there like 4 hours a day just farming the kraken over and over again because i never had a subscription and couldn't do anything else as a result

a simple life but it was a good life

Romeo

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
i remember just sitting there like 4 hours a day just farming the kraken over and over again because i never had a subscription and couldn't do anything else as a result

a simple life but it was a good life
the real shit is when you had some super high level friends and would teleport to them at random only to wind up in endgame boss raids and other misadventures

Pyromancer

Nebulae
the real shit is when you had some super high level friends and would teleport to them at random only to wind up in endgame boss raids and other misadventures
or to get to the death school and be like 'wow this is sick' but if you accidentally wandered out without setting a marker you were never getting back in that fucking place ever again

D

Deleted member 7085

Got a membership for Pirate101 a week back, already in the second world. Having a blast, people who wanna spend £10 to play the game should lol