BARBENHEIMER

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
e96.jpg

WHY is there not a movie thread for the greatest cinematic masterpiece to date yet.. Excited as fuck because I'll already watch BARBIE with my gf on the 19th here :)) Need to convince my buddies to do an Oppenheimer - Barbie marathon​

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
You're watching it on the 19th? I swear they both release on the 21st?

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Dunno what the hell is up but it's out for us now at least in my country lol so i am excited as fuck for the psychological thriller movie that is Barbie

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Just watched it holy fuck it was completely different from what I thought it would be

I'll review it later

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So I watched Barbie today and honestly it was a really fucking funny movie? had some odd parts but I'm not sure if I was the intended audience so lol

(keep in mind I didn't watch any trailers / promotional materials) Movie got a bit cliche early on when it got clear Barbie "wasn't normal" aka defective and had to go to the real world to make her owner happy however there was a fucking matrix reference so I died laughing. not that I didn't like the 'go back to reality' trope but I was happy enough with it maybe just having some slight touch to reality and all but anyway.

when she got to the real world with Ken, they were laughed at and and everyone was sexist against Barbie. meanwhile Ryan Gosling / Ken was fascinated about finally receiving respect from women and found out it's because of the patriarchy so he began loving it. movie continued with Barbie meeting the daughter of the owner of the Barbie who was literally 'im 13 and this is deep' personified in the whole movie. FBI contacts Mattel and they send out special agents to arrest Barbie which was fucking funny. the board of directors was literally just some crazy people.

Barbie gets rescued by mom and daughter and go back to Barbieland (while being chased by the Mattel Corpos) to find that Ken basically made Barbieland a patriarchy and now Kens are in charge. of course they don't want any of that so they make a plan to unbrainwash the Barbies and return to their previous situation. so they distract the guys and take the girls going with them away secretly to remove the brainwashing by having the daughter tell them that this is stupid and they shouldn't just blindly serve the Kens and return to their old duties. eventually all Barbies are unbrainwashed but because Kens now got the government they want to cause discord among them so they won't vote the new law establishing Kens as the rulers.

they suceed and Ryan Gosling has a fucking dance off which was unironically the funniest part of the movie. anyways the Barbies suceed and we started moving toward the ending. Ken is sad because he just wanted to be Barbie's boyfriend after all and he and Barbie had some deeptalk. and as if they had forgotten about them while writing the movie, the Corpos show up in Barbieland to make a few one liners and make fun of them being men and then nothing more. the Kens give control back to the Barbies and requested that maybe they can also rule as judges and such but the Barbies told them no and made the joke that just as women did irl they'd have to work their way up.

in the end Barbie met Ruth Handler and they had a real deep talk where Barbie said she genuinely just wanted to live a normal life at this point and it got sort of emotional here, solid work. Barbara does return to the real world and has her first appointment with a gynecologist because since Barbies have no genitals I suppose she's happy to finally be part of the club

Overall, the movie was really good but was especially carried by Margot Robbie who was fucking amazing as Barbie. Ryan Gosling never once drove a vehicle so I was very sad. It was super funny most of the time and I really enjoyed the movie a lot, still wondering how the hell it got the 6 and above rating here. The movie had a lot of really funny references and was genuinely a product of love it looks like. I'm not gonna complain about the writing because I don't think there's much lore to a Barbie movie so I found it ok. I really think the entire Mother / Daughter stuff could've been written out more imo but I still found it super sweet. At first I was a bit thrown off by all the sexism and in the end when the Kens didn't get any rights but I found it pretty clever after all and a good way to address the topic. I do think it was a bit excessive sometimes such as with the execs calling themselves mothers and all that.

overall 8.5/10, it's super enjoyable if you just want to watch a movie and have a good time. you genuinely don't need much brainpower for this movie which is great. i'd recommend going with friends 100%

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
So I watched Barbie today and honestly it was a really fucking funny movie? had some odd parts but I'm not sure if I was the intended audience so lol
Did you manage to download the new Ryan Gosling personality?

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Did you manage to download the new Ryan Gosling personality?

well Ryan Gosling turns into a Cowboy so I suppose I can say "I ride."

guess which meaning this one has..

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae

it's common (at least where i am) for movie theaters to do early screenings for (usually) highly anticipated releases

i got to see some of the mcu movies early like dis

on other note

i want to go see oppenheimer

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
it's common (at least where i am) for movie theaters to do early screenings for (usually) highly anticipated releases

i got to see some of the mcu movies early like dis

on other note

i want to go see oppenheimer
Fair enough, I guess it makes sense

I will go watch Oppenheimer today July 21st

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Will be watching Oppenheimer monday next week with a friend

I'm excited to see how they recreated the Trinity Test, they've said it's 100% practical effects

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
Just saw Oppenheimer and it was an awesome movie. Crazy how all that stuff that happened 80 years ago still resonates to this day as we're practically in a second cold war

Bravo, Christopher Nolan

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Saw Oppenheimer monday earlier this week, was a very nice experience. Trinity test was absolutely worth it, really well done.

Florence Pugh's character and involvement was... strange, to say the least. There were a few moments that were just very unexpected, sudden, and accidentally very comical; if you've seen it, you know the ones I'm talking about.

Many moments ended up being a great accidental comedy for me and my friend whom I went with, which may have taken from the emotion of the movie but made it an enjoyable watch nonetheless. Very good film overall.

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
Saw Oppenheimer monday earlier this week, was a very nice experience. Trinity test was absolutely worth it, really well done.

Florence Pugh's character and involvement was... strange, to say the least. There were a few moments that were just very unexpected, sudden, and accidentally very comical; if you've seen it, you know the ones I'm talking about.

Many moments ended up being a great accidental comedy for me and my friend whom I went with, which may have taken from the emotion of the movie but made it an enjoyable watch nonetheless. Very good film overall.
Wonder how they managed to film that 2nd one with everyone there lol, and how many tries it took

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Wonder how they managed to film that 2nd one with everyone there lol, and how many tries it took
Hands down the funniest scene in the entire movie. We were trying to hold back laughing so hard since everyone else was quiet or serious, but seriously you can't look at that scene and think "wow this is a very emotional and important part of the film that definitely makes thematic sense".

not to mention how adamant Cillian Murphy has been with defending those scenes. I'm starting to think he just wanted to bang Florence Pugh

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Oppenheimer was really good, did not feel like 3 hours at all, the pacing was amazing imo.
Hands down the funniest scene in the entire movie. We were trying to hold back laughing so hard since everyone else was quiet or serious, but seriously you can't look at that scene and think "wow this is a very emotional and important part of the film that definitely makes thematic sense".

not to mention how adamant Cillian Murphy has been with defending those scenes. I'm starting to think he just wanted to bang Florence Pugh

BUT THAT SCENE, my first thought was "how did they film it with a straight face" like I get it thematically but it was so fucking funny

ALSO, the ending was fire, especially the part where HE gets cooked. I had a grin on my face at all times, it was really good!

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
ALSO, the ending was fire, especially the part where HE gets cooked. I had a grin on my face at all times, it was really good!
That ending might have been one of the best I've seen in any movie ever, but I think what's crazy to think about is that the ending is a very much possible scenario in today's world. Very much real threat. That's what Oppenheimer was warning us about

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
honestly a really good movie. my first time in an imax with that is like, actually the best introduction to imax. geniuenly blown away at how well the nuke scene was.

pacing was perfect imo