Completed [Competition] Art of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
id be up to do it

not on media team tho :(
ive took a few as non-media dev, feel free man if you got criticism might as well lay it on the people here so they can improve.

Heck

Nucleus
Nebulae

PUKG2WP.jpg

liew

Don't Shoot I'm Too Short
Nebulae
I excluded my own submission here, just for bias sake.

I'm not really that good at reviewing stuff, but I gave it my hand ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Heck
Just got it in at the last minute.

It's very empty, if that's the toy town effect... Don't use it, it's horrible. Just use SDOF. I'd also zoom in the camera so the dutch angle has more of an effect, as if the guy was deluded.
I am on a roll y'all
Uql3MSS.jpg

[doublepost=1513631072][/doublepost]
@Cookie_
The editing on this is quite nice, I really enjoy the smoke on the cigar. A quarrel I have with this however is the bullet impact on the man, it looks far too cartoon-y. As @ramsey said, you should use the Max Payne 3 bullet impacts as they tend to give out a far more realistic output.

Also, I don't really see the context here. It looks as if the CP has a paintball gun of some sorts? Other than that, the lighting and the whole atmosphere of it is great.

t4ccoGU.png
E8KBWZD.png
Slavchase9-720877856.png
slavchase9_by_leviticus2-dbx6www.png
slavchase10_by_leviticus2-dbx70s9.png
slavchase11_by_leviticus2-dbxahff.png
@Maxim

If I were you, I would've slightly lowered the camera angle to get more of a view of the people within the vehicle. In my opinion, the "filler" objects in the back there don't really seem as if they're reacting to the car chase in front of them, merely brushing it off as if it was a usual occurrence. I would've maybe added some expression to their faces, building on this the females hands look rather stiff. Still, quite a good pose though.

@Hamilton

First of all, I like the blood effects coming out of the CP on the right, though the legs on the CP look quite stiff, in-fact most of your posing here is rather stiff. SDOF could've been really well used here to blur out the unwanted areas and really pull the focus onto the CP getting shot, a better camera angle would've also complimented this in my opinion. Also, zoom in a bit more and this would be :ok:
you win
anyway here's another one

74e03cf8cb.png
@MaXenzie thanks =))

OT: It's lovely, I really like it. I don't know if it's just me but it sort of gives me @Smau vibes, in a good way.

Yikes haven't submitted in a while here's a crappy scenebuild:

12230F903E57163820F7847D51A59D32DFD01923
@Cavity
The soldiers here are quite stiff looking, but you managed to clutter the scene up well with trash and the likes, eradicating empty space which I really like. The fog effect also gives a nice, eerie looking atmosphere to the whole scene. :ok:
@Jer

The pose is quite nice, the shadow sort of bisecting his torso gives it a nice look. Though, the axe seems as if it's about to drop out of his hand imo. If you were any good at photoshop editing you could've maybe changed up the background a little. The dead body is a subtle touch though, so I'll give you a :ok: even though the torso is slightly wonky.

@Mickey Toast
I really love your style of drawing, I don't have much to say considering I don't particularly draw that much anymore other than that it looks really nice.

@Erkor

As much as I like the scenebuild it's very empty. You could've possibly added some trash or the likes surrounding the OTA. I do like the fog and the rather eerie looking red glow on his eye, but it seems as if the elite OTA is just aiming at nothing whilst the other two are just idle.

yuE1i

m8yLxaD.jpg

- Original Image

221MpLV.jpg

f2aTv

- My version
@Mindless TV

Not much to say really, it's an edited picture of an eye. I will say though, looking at it closely the editing looks very pixelated.
@247-0006-0001 'Jimbo'

Man, those mountains in the background really let you down. You could've really done some neat stuff with this but it just looks really strange, the shadows are really strange too. It's quite plain too, you could've possibly added some stuff in the sky, or even a dust storm behind them if you could find some effects that look good. But for me, it looks quite rough. The posing itself is decent however.
@MaXenzie

It's the only Christmas themed submission during the Christmas period, so I give you kudos for that. The only real problem I have with it is the TF2 hat which has horrible jagged egdes.
wanted to make it a gif but I cant do that :/

@Dicknose

As said by Dallahan, you could've edged the ship forward to make it look less frozen. Maybe add some sound effects and ambient music? I do like the little ships flying by every now and then however. (Forgive me, I don't know what they're called as I've never personally watched Star Wars).
I made this. It's not amazing but for one of my first animations, I think it's okay.

@Lyon

You've pretty much added what Dicknose's animation didn't have, for one of your first animations It's actually quite good, it was quite an abrupt ending however and just cut off.

Hello. First time actually making a scene in Gmod so feedback and criticism? I know it isn't that good.
83289228C142D44587200C062539238D29B89506
still learning how to use the blur tool and shit. Clearly no good at it.
@Colonel Sanders

A tip I can give for you as a beginner is to use the camera swep and zoom forward, closer to the subject. It's far too zoomed out. The posing too is rather weird and unnatural, he's got sort of a sway to the side.

@my g

Ah, the side on military-pose. I don't really have any problems with this, it's really well done, there's no empty space, the editing is great and the posing is pretty good too. :ok:

My personal winner is @MaXenzie

ae9ddecaee.png

Just because it was Christmas.

Reactions: List

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
alright boyos, mc anime lover here

spXHMiT.png

was going for a desktop background and made this in around 40 minutes

scenebuilt if anyone asks for the map.

This is good stuff, the lighting is rather well done for a gm_flatgrass scenebuild, lots of detail put into the background and surrounding areas, even the dead guy over there. Overall, I have no real pet peeves with this. Pat yourself on the back with this one.

I am on a roll y'all
Uql3MSS.jpg

[doublepost=1513631072][/doublepost]

40 minutes? Bruh? Is that a map or a scene build? Because if it's a scene build I would suck you off

PS: I usually spend 3-5 hours making shit because I never know what I want from my art and spend half of the time fucking around with shit
Nicely lit dark setting, these are usually not easy to produce, the bullet holes could have been better if they were max payne 3 ones that were linked. But overall, it's nicely done, though I'm not quite sure if the camera guy and the guy on the left are sequences and they really do look like they are. The CP on the left could have been looking through something as well rather than just idly staring at the dead guy.

slavchase11_by_leviticus2-dbxahff.png

I can see some minor issues with the posing, feel free to nitpick other ones and give me feedback.
Alright my fam, while the posing is nicely done on the guys in the car, one of the pedestrians look odd with how he's leaning back.
The lighting is bland and could have benefitted from some work, maybe a bit more sunlight flashing on the cars from the top, or even a scenebuild + lighting could have gotten this to work pretty nicely. The top left corner is also a bit too empty. The cars also feel a little bit too close to each-other and there's no sense of actual movement, so work on the after-effect editing as well and some SDOF.

It is kinda dark idk why, but hope you dudes like it
Artwork_1.jpg
The guy on the left feels a bit too calm about the situation considering his buddy just got killed, would be a lot better if he looked like he was prepared to fight for his life more. The posing on the guy taking cover behind the wall is odd with his hand and his how his pistol is facing, the pistol should be facing a bit more up than sideways. And lastly the guys on the right, how he dies is un-natural, you could work on this bit not making him look like he's falling, but more like he's getting shoved.

article-0-1E9DFB9100000578-521_634x703.jpg

For example, you could make him be turned a bit sideways instead with his footing a bit loose like how the guy in the picture looks. This is a rough example of it.

And lastly, the area seems awfully lifeless, there's no environment, no items like machinery, or debris or anything of the sort and only one rebel makes it feel like there's no intensity. The camera angle could use some work as well, you could have zoomed in a bit more and chose to go a bit closer to the angle and make it a hard angle so that why you wouldn't have so much open space.
you win

anyway heres my entry

74e03cf8cb.png
Good work as always, editing is on-point and posing is on-point, really gives off a cool vibe. But really, that's all it is. Just a cool looking guy standing with cool editing. Nothing really to applaud, but good work regardless.
Just another one
Artwork_3.jpg
Well, first off, the guy needs to hold his pistol up more. The camera angle would benefit form being zoomed in more and picked at a lower elevation. Then there's the lighting, which could be much better if it was from the top right rather than a flashlight from the back. The editing could use some work as well as it's rather bland and doesn't really fit in much. The area is also rather empty apart from trees, could have a dead body floating in the water or being somewhere hanging from a tree or on land. Though the atmosphere does work a little bit, so I applaud you on that.
Yikes haven't submitted in a while here's a crappy scenebuild:

12230F903E57163820F7847D51A59D32DFD01923
Nicely done, the atmosphere is perfect, but could work a little bit more if there was a dead person there and there, for example one could be in a car, and another one on the ground. However the posing is great, could have had another guy walking somewhere or inspecting that car over to the left or the blue car inspecting a body. Would have been really neat. The lighting is pretty nice as well, but I feel like it's lacking a bit, can't tell why.
Nicely done editing effects, really gives off a great vibe here. The guy in the background is really hard to see though and might have worked better if we could see him clearer. However, great lighting, could have been a bit better with a object or two in the background, like a car on the right side with its lights on flashing on the dead guy.

I don't know what to say honestly, it's great though.
I said this before, but man is this place fucking empty as fuck man. You disappointed me, where you could have put trash, dead people, and all the goodies for a dark setting like this, you didn't. It's far too clean, too empty. The lighting is awkward with the elite shining so much like he's a beacon it's just the right amount of dark though.

Overall this is a let-down of what could be. It needs a lot more detail in the background because there's far too much empty space and wasted potential.
Odd lighting and no real concept other than two guys standing in a desert. Posing is a little awkward with the guy on the right having that thing clip through him and the background being really empty with awkward lighting and polygon hills. This could have worked much better if this had been a scenebuilt desert like what Erkor once has done that looked fantastic. There's no reason for hills to have such odd shadows if the light. Work on reaching an interesting concept like having something floating in the sky, things happening in the background like exploring that crevice down there, a camp on the other side with activity going on. Think creative my man.

already posted one my man, already examined one. cool hat though.
wanted to make it a gif but I cant do that :/

Well, as evil has said it, it would have been nice if the destroyer was moving a bit to make it a bit more lively, maybe more than one destroyer in the distance and in general a bit more activity, maybe even fighters patrolling around the cameras position more often flying not only to the destroyer but to the left or right or even towards the camera.
I made this. It's not amazing but for one of my first animations, I think it's okay.

It certainly feels like something out of a star wars movie back in the day. It's nicely done, but I can't really say much on space animations like this. I'm not an expert in animation so I can't offer much advice, but good work.
Hello. First time actually making a scene in Gmod so feedback and criticism? I know it isn't that good.
83289228C142D44587200C062539238D29B89506
still learning how to use the blur tool and shit. Clearly no good at it.
Alright, first off, you should zoom in more, too much open space. You don't need this much empty space if everything around him is so dark, you could have found a lower elevation angle shot to take as well. Try to experiment with camera angles and make the scene for your camera rather than after.
Lighting, the lighting should be on the campfire, it feels very odd that there is no light where the fire is, it shouldn't be pitch black there. The area shouldn't be so pitch black either, the area should be light up by something, the moon for example, it should be a nice color of blue or slight blue. The posing on the guy could be better as well, he should be sitting up a bit more straight and the area feels a bit too desolate.
my g returns once more with his cool poses of middle eastern people or gangstas. Very well done, there's a nice feel of movement with the wheels and the duders are doing their jobs correctly. The lighting is solid although the shadows are a bit too blurry, might want to check your settings over there or start using softlamps addon. The background is absolutely amazing and I applaud you for depicting such a run down place so nicely. Overall, good stuff my man.

If I had to choose victors for this, It'd be really hard. So instead, I applaud you all for your good and hard work.

Cookie_

IT'S OKAY TO BE WHITE
Nebulae
Nicely lit dark setting, these are usually not easy to produce, the bullet holes could have been better if they were max payne 3 ones that were linked. But overall, it's nicely done, though I'm not quite sure if the camera guy and the guy on the left are sequences and they really do look like they are. The CP on the left could have been looking through something as well rather than just idly staring at the dead guy.

No sequences used dude

Dude on the left is idly staring cuz there is already some fella writing down shit. If he would be doing the same it would look like a mirror.

Max payne shooty holes look poo poo
[doublepost=1514412623][/doublepost]
The editing on this is quite nice, I really enjoy the smoke on the cigar. A quarrel I have with this however is the bullet impact on the man, it looks far too cartoon-y. As @ramsey said, you should use the Max Payne 3 bullet impacts as they tend to give out a far more realistic output.

Also, I don't really see the context here. It looks as if the CP has a paintball gun of some sorts? Other than that, the lighting and the whole atmosphere of it is great.

Thanka for the components my man.
Yes the bulletholes arent thw best but the mp ones are not anything good either.

And for the context, its a crime scene. You can see the cp on the left taking notes, the ome close to the dude is taking pictures of the victim, you see

Status
Not open for further replies.