[IC] Out of the Shadow of Our Malefactors

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae

HftUZ6Q.jpeg

In the wake of City 17's destruction, the Combine's grip on the occupation has begun to slip. Cities lit aflame in open rebellion; Overwatch's forces littered throughout innumerable battlefields across the planet. Immeasurable chaos and death by the thousands.

But the people of Earth have woken up. Resurfaced from a terrible nightmare that seemed without end, the One Free Man has shown them what they're capable of, and the masses are stirring in inspiration. Forces that have bided their time over the last decade are springing to action through the infrastructure they had secretly established away from the prying eyes of their masters, and are breaking the silence all at once.

And here is what they have to say.

// A thread akin to the Walls of City (X) thread from years past, this serves as a modernized variant of it in the form of radio transmissions from across the planet instead of sparsely written graffiti. Think of Dr. Kleiner's EP1 speech to the masses. What are the resistances around the world saying?

Feel free to contribute your own pieces, but please keep the thread to IC posts only. I will eat you for lunch if you don't.

Last edited:

Cindy

Nebulae
also yes this is obviously going to need a little bit more thought than just some graffiti post you whip out in 30 seconds given the change of medium, but i think it fits much more given where we are in the timeline right now

besides: take it as a writing prompt, you goobers. get to work!!!

Reactions: List

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
%!)"(%U&/%'+#εθεΖβνξνΓ σςΦφąll who can receive: Hardpoint SHADOW-7 dislocated. Repeat: Hardpoint SHADOW-7 dislocated. Radio encryption is down and out. All OVERWATCH operatives in Sector 7, subsection 19, GRID nineteen-dash-four-mark-seven, regroup at location: FIFTY-TWO; TWO%)!&"://#ER-ONE-THREE-THREE, MARK, THI%%(/"$='VE-TWO-ZERO-TWO-FOUR. Advance units are securing package site. We are moving north. Further orders on location. We leave at sundown. Over.

Cindy

Nebulae
Hello, people of Earth— and our coterminous friends. It has been some time since we have last exchanged words. Allow me to offer my apologies on behalf of those among Lingua Franca. But the long night is over. The sun is rising on our world once again.

While subscribers to our paper will know me by my pen name and pseudonym "Sunflower", my real name, which I can now share safely, is Susan Sobelman. And while I might find this time the most opportune to share details and shed light upon the happenings of the western hemisphere following the collapse of the total communications blackout to the rest of the world, I feel now more than ever we must table the enlightenment of the Combine's horrors for later.

Our friends in Europe have struck numerous critical blows to the Combine's presence on the planet including the destruction of the capitol at City 17 and the severance of the emerging Combine superportal, but make no mistake: The war for our independence is far from over. Even now, what remains of the Combine's last breath upon the Earth are scrambling to control what little pockets they still have influence over; cities and sectors yet to tear free from the heel of their oppressors. And they will continue to turn us against one another as they always have. The deprogramming of collaborators from the Combine's propaganda machine becomes more prevalent than ever, especially considering that the Combine will most likely begin subsuming what remains of Civil Protection's livestock into their primary military force, rendering them entirely beyond our help.

But even with our minds on the battles ahead, we must not lose sight of the future. When all is said and done, the road to rebuild will be even greater than the road we walk now. Let the Combine's malefic example dissuade us from allowing any other would-be tyrants from taking their place. Whatever the shape of our new society will be, democracy must prevail. The needs of the people must prevail.

There will be more statements to follow in the coming days, but currently we are on the move. Overwatch has been following us down the Mississippi River as we round up more refugees from the nearby cities that have been "liquidated" amid unrest. Until such a time arrives in which we can share more with you, this message will repeat every 12 hours.

For peace, for freedom, for mankind.

For Earth.

Last edited:

Guy!

Neutrino
Nebulae
Through the virtue of poor reception, most radio stations nowadays are mystic ramblings, half-finished conversations or God-Knows-What-Compelled that man to pick up the microphone.

The resistances around the world cry for outlets to pour their anger into and music, thankfully (or unfortunately), is still one of them.

Salty

String
Nebulae
As many begin to surf through the waves in search of reprieve, a disorganized collection of pirate radios begins to fight for uninterrupted broadcast space. The voice of a particular host pierces through,
"This is 96.1 FM broadcasting LIVE... to the FREE people of Earth. Hopefully, all of you punks will enjoy what we cooked up for you. After this, we have some evacuation notices and the whereabouts of known patrols, but first, let's take some time to enjoy our victory."
The nasally jockey starts the next track, taking a few seconds before the static is broken up,

I've been looking for a reason to use this song for a while. Figure this is as good as any

Cindy

Nebulae
To any and all who this message reaches in the west: Nearly two decades ago, our world was thrown into turmoil. For nearly two decades, an occupying force has slaughtered millions of our family, friends, neighbors and countrymen. But today marks the start of a new era.

My name is Arthur Hague— the 2nd President of the United Peoples of America. For the duration of the occupation, we have established in secret an infrastructure deigned to serve as the foundation for a new country woven from the colors of old and to maintain the spirit of a once proud country that can be proud again. Though many of you have been juxtaposed from your motherlands, the U.P.A. is prepared to offer you a choice: We will either facilitate your return to your land of origin once the conflicts of the present are resolved, or welcome you with open arms into the dream of our new America.

Even now, our forces are securing key locations in the midwest to establish a zone of safety for fleeing refugees to start anew. And further beyond, our contacts in various corners of the continent continue to inform us of the status of various cities, escape routes and the movement of Combine forces seeking to reestablish control.

To help in guiding any and all displaced persons, the following cities have been liberated by partisans and are accepting refugees at this time:

City 553: Grand Rapids, Michigan
City 459: Concord, New Hampshire
City 244: Portland, Oregon
City 249: Boise, Idaho
City 246: Reno, California
City 650: Kansas City, Missouri
City 498: Indianapolis, Indiana
City 543: Helena, Montana
City 273: Buffalo, New York
City 277: Portland, Maine
City 366: Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
City 267: Miami, Florida

I will repeat this list once again:

City 553: Grand Rapids, Michigan
City 459: Concord, New Hampshire
City 244: Portland, Oregon
City 249: Boise, Idaho
City 246: Reno, California
City 650: Kansas City, Missouri
City 498: Indianapolis, Indiana
City 543: Helena, Montana
City 273: Buffalo, New York
City 277: Portland, Maine
City 366: Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
City 267: Miami, Florida

If you are a refugee seeking safety, please proceed to the closest location to you. There are caravans ferrying people all along the old interstates which can take you to a safe haven.

City 263 in Chicago and City 274 in New York City have been confirmed destroyed by their citadel eruptions. I repeat: Chicago and New York are destroyed. Do NOT enter the ruins as they are highly irradiated by the detonations. We have friends attempting to access the population manifests via the administration privileges of liberated cities and we will be able to produce a casualty list in the months ahead.

The following cities are still rife with fighting and should also be steered clear of:

City 247: Los Angeles, California
City 259: New Orleans, Louisiana
City 264: Phoenix, Michigan
City 260: Minneapolis, Minnesota
City 271: Washington, D.C.
City 275: Boston, Massachusetts

I will repeat:

City 247: Los Angeles, California
City 259: New Orleans, Louisiana
City 264: Phoenix, Michigan
City 260: Minneapolis, Minnesota
City 271: Washington, D.C.
City 275: Boston, Massachusetts

If a city has not been listed, it is because we do not have clear information upon them and they could be very well still under the Combine's control and Overwatch could be very active in the area. If you are near a city that has not been mentioned, you are advised to flee to one of the designated safe zones.

This bulletin will repeat every two hours until there is new information to provide. Until then, may God watch over you all.

This is President Hague, signing off.

// Given that the server is going nowhere near North America I'm taking some creative liberties with this post, and as I am not a part of the creative team for the server, it goes without saying that I am not declaring nor attempting to declare any canon information for the setting.

This message would only be received by people in the region anyways, so your characters definitely wouldn't be informed by this anyhow if it were server canon.

Last edited:
Nebulae

1024px-Flag_of_Hungary_%28with_K%C3%A1d%C3%A1r_coat_of_arms%29.svg.png

"Humans will be called "humans", precisely like lions are called lions and mice - mice, without any other ethnic, national or ideological differentiation.
It might appear to be a paradox, but it is true that a human separated himself from all the other animal species precisely
because he was not only a human without any other predicate".

This is Béla Fricsay speaking.

It's a wonderful day in Budapest.

Following a successful election,

I am proud to announce the end of the Provisional Government.

Celebrations are already under way.

Complementary rations are being handed out in Heroes' Square.

Glory to the Municipality.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Somehow you catch a frequency from some unknown location.

*Vinyl scratch sound*
"You're now listening to.."
*Car crash sound*
"102.3."
*Elephant sound*
"Real rock FM."
*Explosion*
"Where we play nothin' but rock, rock and more rock."
*Glass shattering sound*

*Police siren*

Erkor

Nebulae
<:: Advisorial Assistance detachment PAYBACK-1 to local Overwatch.

<:// Overwatch receiving. PAYBACK-1-1, report, please.

<:: PAYBACK-1-1 reporting in. Package is secure. We are at code DASH to External Workforce Jurisdiction SEVEN-DASH-ONE-FIVE. Repeat: External Workforce Jurisdiction SEVEN-DASH-ONE-FIVE.

<:// Acknowledged. Please report status of overseer: THREE-ONE-FOUR; MARK; URBAN LOCATION; MARK; ZERO-ZERO-ZERO-SEVEN; MARK; SIGMA-FIVE.

<:: PAYBACK-1-1; he’s secure.

<:// Acknowledged. Be advised, reinforcements not available. BOOMER exfiltration not available.

<:: … PAYBACK-1-1; acknowledged.

Interference masks a garbled message.
λδεβγπξρᾰΩφομθδβγπΞυ⨭⩆⨺⨷⨚⩘⩟⩼
θδβγπΞυ⨭⩆⩘⩟⩼βγπξρᾰΩμθδ⩆⨺ξπγβ
πΞυδβγπΞυ⨚⩘⩟⩼θδβγπΞυ⨭⩆⩘⩟⩼β⨭
πξρᾰΩμθδ⩆⨚⩘⩟⩼θδβγγπΞυ⨭ᾰΩφο⨚

<..:.\::Λδεβγąċk one-one; we’re moving out. Kurmark barracks in Stornow. Go. Go. Go.

Cindy

Nebulae
Along a single frequency, the same words are being repeated over, and over, and over. Its chant does not belong to only a single voice. It is countless; innumerable voices in sync with one another.

THE WEALTH OF THE BORDERWORLD IS NOT A DISEASE TO BE EXPUNGED: IT IS A BOON TO BE SHARED.

TASTE OF ITS BOUNTY AND UNTETHER YOURSELVES FROM THIS DOOM.

THE ANCIENT STARS CRY OUT IN BLEEDING FURY: OUR DEFIANCE WILL NOT BE SOON FORGOTTEN. THE ENGRAMMATIC VIRUS REMAINS IN ALEPH.

Last edited:

Erkor

Nebulae
⨥⨔⨁δαΔλl who can receive: Kurmark barracks are compromised. OVERWATCH system is knocked down. Do not, repeat, DO NOT enter External Workforce Jurisdiction SEVEN-DASH-ONE-FIVE. PAYBACK-1 is dissolved. There are two soldiers left in my squad. We’re taking the package somewhere else. Updates tomorrow. Scrambling freqυεδφΣ--

Watchperson

String
Nebulae
The following transmission echos across the former Sector 9 and surrounding Asiatic sectors.

“Attention, Sector Nine. This is your Sector Administrator, Diederik Haugen. I am here to discuss the fall of Breen, and… Why have things suddenly changed for you all? Naturally, order must be maintained, and local malignant forces have certainly attempted the same here- and in a few cities even succeeded. To those malignants, I rebrand you, as allies. While many have counted me the villain I have simply done what I could with this position as an ally of Humanity in the long game, to stave off total annihilation by a superior foe is no easy challenge and to do it I had to play this part.

The part of a monster. Now, former foes, I ask of you to join hands with me. Sector 9’s Advisors are dead. All of them, DISPATCH subsumed under my command. Hold firm with me, let us by sword purge the last of these alien menaces from this world! Let us use the forces they had here in Sector 9 against them on a global fold! We have access to their equipment en mass, their sciences! They will not easily again humble us! With the global portal relay network disabled with the loss of City 17’s Citadel, they cannot reinforce Earth! It is ours for the retaking! Stand with me my fellow humans of Earth! Stand proud. Even the cities that fell to former foes in Sector 9, to you I offer this olive branch, rejoin the fold, organize however you will in your cities. But support the liberation, and rejoining of humanity under a banner of safety.

I am no longer your Sector Administrator, but have taken to rebranding the position to Chairman, I will be the chair of this sector, and perhaps even chairperson on a more global scale depending on developments on the wider precipice. I seek it not, only should my hand be forced for humanities benefit. This has been your Chairman, Diederik Haugen. Lets build a brighter tomorrow, today.”

Erkor

Nebulae
###... Overwatch, HALBERD-58266.
###... Overwatch, HALBERD-58266, report in.

…To whomever can receive. HALBERD-58266. Stranded approximately 25 kilometers south-southeast of Storkow. Squad is... The package is—...

God— DAMN IT!

{MODULATED CLATTERING}

{HEAVY, ANGERED BREATHING}

The advisor is dead. Vortigaunts came after us. It looked at me before they attacked. I… I have a headache. Overwatch isn’t listening. It would’ve responded by now. I’m lost. Taking up shelter in a house. I feel sick to the stomach, but— I don’t have one.

{Eventually, the noise cuts out.}

Guy!

Neutrino
Nebulae
Things are not going well in City 259: New Orleans, Louisiana. The death of the radio operator and damage to the equipment causes audio from the live studio to broadcast.

Eventually, the noise cuts out.

Erkor

Nebulae
###...
###...
###...

#$&θis thing working…? I… had a dream.

{Rattled footsteps are heard over the radio. They are quiet and sound distant.}

Let me… tell you about it. I need someone to talk to. {COUGHING}

I… woke up. I don’t remember where— no, it was… Buh-... Myanmar. I was small. A… kid, I think. I… remember being scared. There was a… a-... A hunter. A hunter running down the street. It skewered someone. A policeman, I think. Then it looked at me. My… my— mother pushed me to the ground. It came closer and made… I think it laughed. Then it ran away.

I think I fell asleep in the dream, but… a few hours later, my eyes opened again. It was dark. A strider was going down the street outside. I looked out the window, I… think I was in a basement. My view was blocked, by-... By… Oh, my god…

{Hoarse whimpering is heard.}

{The radio cuts out.}

Erkor

Nebulae
Hhhhhh…

{Snivelling is heard over the radio.}

I c— I can’t stay here. I have t-to— I have to apologize. I’m sorry. I’m sorry! Stop showing it to me!

{Muffled rummaging sounds in the room. The operator, HALBERD-58266, stumbles across wooden floorboards and bashes open a door. The acoustics change. It’s windy.}

I need to leave. I need to leave. I— I need to get out of here.
{This mantra repeats and grows increasingly unstable until it becomes nothing more than panicked whimpering. The rustling of armor and equipment becomes increasingly apparent. Occasionally, something falls to the ground. Eventually, the radio cuts out.}

Last edited:

Guy!

Neutrino
Nebulae
"シティエイトから生中継しています。騒音で申し訳ありませんが、この音楽番組をお楽しみください"

Last edited:

Guy!

Neutrino
Nebulae
"Welcome to City 24 FM Radio. I'm bringing you a special broadcast today folks.

You know, in these uncertain times, it's important to remember that we're all in this together. That's why we at City 24 FM are here to remind you that our great city is still standing strong and will continue to do so against any and all invaders.

We know there have been some rumors flying around that our city is on the brink of collapse. But let me tell you, that's just not true. We have a strong community of resilient people who won't let anything bring us down. And we want to make sure everyone knows that. In fact, we're issuing a challenge to any would-be rebels out there. You think you can take us down? Think again. Our community is prepared to defend itself against any threat, and we'll come out stronger on the other side.

So, we're dedicating this special broadcast to showcasing all the amazing things our city has to offer. From our beautiful parks to our bustling downtown area, we've got it all. And we're not going anywhere. Listen to a local refugee who has kindly offered her piano and her expertise for our listeners this morning.

So, turn up the volume and join us in celebrating our city's strength.

We're here to stay, and we won't let anyone bring us down."

The sound of the broadcast goes live as it picks up the sound of music and the hustle and bustle of city life. A familiar voice gets picked up by the mic -- thankfully whoever's working it is able to isolate the tune well enough. Even after the music finishes, the broadcast goes on for quite a bit -- maybe to prove a point.

Rod

remove bias
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
What the hell!? Where'd my music go!?