Kafe's Map thread

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Work on the hl2rp map has not been active at the moment, reckon once I'm feeling the itch to get back into the mode I'll get back to it, wound up fatigued of it.

But still, been having more of a fallout itch instead, had old faction and mod ideas, so I've decided to just mess about for a little while and do that.

So I'm making a Nomad tribe faction that goes around repairing and riding pre-war trains across the US.
They're all about the lifestyle, and the railway rifle is their weapon/ work tool of choice.

Does mean it's in your best interest to not annoy them, the gun is bloody crazy.

Reactions: List

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae

Much to my surprise, still screwing about.

Made a gun that locks power armour frames and knocks down the fuckers. Took a good few hours to figure out how to make a unique enchantment and tie it to a legendary mod for this placement, but it's cool to see it working now.

Also has a different ammo offshoot of the gauss gun's electromagnetic rounds, bit of a workaround for now as fallout 4 creation kit doesn't immediately support costing multiple ammo per shot.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Alright let's get some actual world stuff in the works.

Still on my fallout 4 interest right now, so I built a settlement in my custom world, temporary home to a group of train driving nomads.
While the rail lines ahead are out of service, they will settle into this abandoned railway depot and work on fixing the damage rail lines ahead alongside much of this place during their stay.

we'll see how their arrival sits with the locals in due time.

86b0fab62ed4c128f68d828989aa6090855c06e5.jpg
a5b024d88a55416c71c14b2fe3f98d3e785c18d8.jpg

Fallout 4's modular world building kit is both very useful at making things quickly, but can also be a real pain when there's a niche, specific piece you want that does not exist. hence why this depot has no roof, will at least work to spin it into something special though, an extra thing for the nomads to fix.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
40beca4add1ac9f55deb19fd6f93099885d077ff.jpg

Finally got skill checks working

If you want to see the low Intellegence, low luck path for this.
It's mostly the joke version, but there's a high luck alternative I'll show off later as well when I have the script give out items to finish the quest.
Been a good laugh though.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Been a bit
Still working on the fallout 4 project, but a little competition came up on map labs to do a TTT map. so been doing that as of last week, one week left.

Theme was super villain lair, so my entry so far is a fake observatory holding a missle base
hlEatcq.jpg

cayGjB7.jpg

All the blockout geo is done for the entry, so getting gamemode functionality in alongside visual work now.
g82FZdo.jpg

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
How did you learn to use Hammer? What was the long term process?

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
How did you learn to use Hammer? What was the long term process?
I picked up Hammer about... 10 years ago, maybe longer now.
I got my start way back with both just improvising, reading the source sdk wiki, and making liberal use of 3Kliksphillip's old hammer tutorial series, which was great, because it showed you the basic functionality of stuff in 30-60 time slots.

From there it's more or less just getting that baseline on how to make a map work, and steadily over time try out other features, learn more of the toolset, and how you can improve the overall quality.

Takes a good long while, and I'm still not exceptional with hammer, but I can get things out of my brain and into a bsp file in a decent amount of time now days. so it all works out well.

-

Also wanted to share another piece from the competition map, doing the traitor traps today.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Also wanted to share another piece from the competition map, doing the traitor traps today.

whoa that was pretty fucking sick

how do you make it so traitors can interact with the doors?

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
whoa that was pretty fucking sick

how do you make it so traitors can interact with the doors?
Trouble in terrorist town has a set of unique hammer entities, one of which is a invisible, traitor only button.
Works exactly the same as regular buttons, they're just visible only to traitors and can be done at range. so it's pretty much just a button set to toggle the doors/ window covers on press, since the button resets, it can open and close as often as you like. Or until the truck breaks it...

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
20230926235447_1.jpg

20230926194237_1.jpg

Buggered the brightness tonight, but otherwise things are looking good. all my art to-dos are done

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Skybox was accidentally disabled on one last minute compile and showed me hours before the end that I should've made it a night map.

darn.
maybe a post-jam update.
20230928202810_1.jpg

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Skybox was accidentally disabled on one last minute compile and showed me hours before the end that I should've made it a night map.

darn.
maybe a post-jam update.
20230928202810_1.jpg

make an alt version

mårten

Atom
Nebulae

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
btw if anyone does decide to boot up the map, let me know if it instantly kills you.
One dude on the workshop says it does, but you know with gmod, hard to say if it's the map or the 5 billion other addons you're running.

has never occurred on my end, but who knows.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
btw if anyone does decide to boot up the map, let me know if it instantly kills you.
One dude on the workshop says it does, but you know with gmod, hard to say if it's the map or the 5 billion other addons you're running.

has never occurred on my end, but who knows.
Tried playing with no addons cause I did a fresh install recently and I insta died on all the spawns like when you get crushed by props