Should i buy a SSD?

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
Hello;
I've been thinking to upgrade my computer, and i've heard many times about this SSD thing that apparently is better than an HDD if you storage games in the SSD

Lately, i haven't been convinced about my performance in game, e.g: War Thunder, i go in ground forces and in condensed areas my FPS drop to 30 from 60, or GMod, in which the fps get horrible upon time, or BF1, which i am supposed to run greatly.

Now, what i need to know if it is a good buy, the only things i need to get new are a CPU, but i need to know if this'd be worth it.

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
just get like a 100 gig one and install your OS and web browser on it

makes it all run alot faster

store all of your other shit on a regular hard drive

Husky

Nebulae
SSD's are hard to break, don't require defragging (so they're slightly faster) but are more expensive and don't hold that much space for price ratio.

Hard drives are destroyed if moved while the disk is spinning, require occasional defragging and can be damaged, they're also larger but are cheaper and hold more memory for price.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
I have an SSD purely for programs and my OS while I keep games to my main 2TB HDD, like - everything seems to run smoother if you install it on an SSD.

If you're on a budget do what I did, get a cheap second hand kingston SSD with 120 gigs of memory, install windows ten, steam, origin team speak discord etc on it, any misc program - and you're gucci.

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
You're unlikely to see any major performance improvements beyond load times with an ssd. What you most likely need is a better graphics card.

For games like gmod and most games; that is the main limitation. Exceptions are games like minecraft (ram) & Arma 3 to an extend (cpu)

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
You're unlikely to see any major performance improvements beyond load times with an ssd. What you most likely need is a better graphics card.

For games like gmod and most games; that is the main limitation. Exceptions are games like minecraft (ram) & Arma 3 to an extend (cpu)

I have a 1050TI which is quite good, but my CPU is old so i'll buy a new one after seeing replies.

green name

Proton
Nebulae
you dont need an ssd, but if you want fast shit go ahead. my laptop has ssd and boots up in ~10 seconds, my desktop has 1tb harddrive filled with shit and takes 10 minutes to load. thats basically it, everything is way faster on ssd but is it worth the extra price? depends. i stick with a hdd on my desktop since when it boots up, i really dont need to turn it off again and have to wait 10 minutes, and im patient enough to not notice the 2 second delay on loading web pages and whatever. i have ssd on my laptop however because i want that shit to fire up quick and load things faster when time is a problem.

it's a personal preference

Reactions: List

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
definitely, SSD is always good and helps your shit run a lot quicker and smoother. as other people have said, install your operating system on it, you can boot your computer in less than ten seconds depending on the specs

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
3AmE2oS.png

So, my windows is an SSD and my .exe is a normal HDD but;

My "games" is a Hybrid drive, which is a mix of both an HDD and an SSD, it costs a lot less and to be honest, I did have a 500GB SDD put I put that in my MacBook pro, to make that faster. I didn't see too much of a difference.

If I was you, I'd get a tiny SSD for my windows so it boots up super fast and a hybrid for your games.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000DX001-Hybrid-Internal-Solid/dp/B00ELAVIQ0

^ That's what I have.